About

Sunday, June 26, 2016

the stuff of life...

I found these pictures on my phone that I quickly snapped on our way out to church a while ago, and I forgot to post them with the haircut photos.  We got the ideas from this book.  




<< ~ >>

In other news.  My basil is not too happy!
We've had LOTS of rain.  Many places are baking with triple digit temperatures, while we've been hovering in the low 60's.  Summer, where are you?

<< ~>>

By now you know I'm not much a clutter bug-saver girl.  We are regularly passing stuff on to Goodwill. The few yard sales that I have done in the past, have never been very successful, but I had a few bigger things and thought I'd give it a try again.  A friend offered the use of her driveway since she gets lots of drive-by traffic. The forecast looked promising...

until a bit later...


But...her Queen Elizabeth roses are beautiful!

Needless to say - I came home with most of my stuff.  :-/
If you are local and you like this dresser...

<< ~ >>

Meanwhile the hydrangeas love the rain and I am so glad! They are my favorite!


I've been cutting lots of bouquets to enjoy inside.




<< ~ >>

Our garden this year. 

Radishes, lettuce, zucchini, and butternut squash are the only things so far poking their heads up out of the ground.  Both Eric and I agree that since our growing season is short we will begin our garden with starts from now on. 
Instead of investing in a new rototiller (next year), I am in favor of raised beds instead.  I love the look of them, and the kids and I could manage turning the soil.  I think we'd get more out of our space too.  

If you have experience with raised beds, feel free to leave any tips you might have.  :-)


 << ~ >>

We still have goats (six).  We are not milking any at the moment.  We are sort of at a cross- roads with that. 
Having fresh, raw milk for drinking and making cheese is such a blessing, but with Hannah being allergic to goat milk (and possibly other children too) along with longboard events that would require us to find a farm-sitter/goat milker, it hasn't been a priority.
At the moment, they are weed-eaters which is equally helpful.

<< ~ >>

We had a surprise visitor. 

 << ~ >> 

I picked up a flat of strawberries.  They are were the epitome of summer!   I need to buy another flat.  I also need to do some jamming.  I've come across some freezer jam recipes that sound interesting - combinations of fruit like strawberry/plum - and don't require pectin (which is often GMO).

Did you know that raspberries are actually candy?  :-)  They are just.so.good!

<< ~ >>

Costco has been carrying thin cut pork chops.  The package contains enough for two meals for our big family.  :-)  


Here is a delicious marinade I found in the latest Costco Connection magazine.  It was for Pork and Watermelon Kebabs.  I didn't end up making the recipe as kebabs, but I did use the marinade and it was super yummy.  

Pork chop marinade
6 Tbsp. brown sugar (maple syrup or coconut sugar would be equally good, I think.)
6 Tbsp. soy sauce (coconut aminos)
6 Tbsp. diced red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (fresh)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
dash of pepper to taste

  << ~ >>

Still going through pictures of our recent trip. 
Beautiful scenery - and Mt. Adams.

and a different kind of coffee art. 


It's hard to believe we just about half way through the year.  Our niece arrives in a few days.  We have an adventure or two planned, but also lazy days full of reading and relaxing.  

Enjoy the sunshine - we finally are.


~Carol 

2 comments:

  1. Oh what gorgeous 'Do's! I've grown my hair long to braid and found I have no talent! Love your garden. I know rain can do funny things. I have a pot of Lantana that the apartment maintenance men almost killed by spraying. It survived and I set it out when it was raining and almost drowned the poor thing! Enjoy your garden. I have no tips. I am just trying to get/keep a few things in pots alive in the heat and sun bearing down on them. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy visiting. I came by from your emails! I hope you'll get a chance to stop in and visit My Journey and say 'Hi'. Smiles!
    https://myjourneyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,
    Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. :-) I've been enjoying your blog too. Yay for blog friends.
    Hope you are able to enjoy these summer days.
    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)