Our family got slammed with a flu bug.
I don't want to lament our misery, but instead tell you about a couple of things that really helped us through.
There aren't many products on the market for young children, but I found this cough syrup at our local pharmacy.
The ingredient list is simple and pronounceable:
- Proprietary blend of dark honeys
- Ivy Leaf (leaf extract, hedera helix) - helps with congestion
- natural flavor (not exactly sure what this is ?)
- grapefruit seed extract (used as a natural preservative)
- citric acid
Due to the honey content it is not recommended for children under 1 year.
I found it even helped me with the incessant cough.
. . . . .
I had some on hand from a couple of years ago.
Do you know about this? You totally should!
There are lots of sites on the internet about Master Tonic.
I found my information here.
This is a natural remedy for any number of infections, but especially the common cold and flu. It's naturally antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic.
The reason the Master Tonic is so powerful is because all of the ingredients are fresh, and are designed to stimulate blood circulation to help introduce the detoxifying ingredients into your bloodstream.
All should be organic
- 1 whole, fresh chopped garlic bulb, skins peeled off each clove (garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-parasitic.
- 1 whole, fresh, peeled, chopped white onion, or the hottest onions available (similar properties to garlic.)
- 1 (4- or 5) inch piece of fresh grated ginger root (increases circulation to the extremities.)
- 1 (4- or 5) inch piece of fresh grated horseradish root (increases blood flow to the head.)
- 4 fresh, chopped Cayenne peppers, Jalapenos, Serranos, Habaneros, African bird peppers...any combination of the hottest peppers available, including the seeds, but with stems removed
- 1 quart raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
The way to make this master tonic is simple, but it takes 2 weeks to "incubate"
Prepare all of your ingredients, (chop, grate, etc.)
Fill a quart size mason jar 3/4 full with chopped and grated ingredients.
Fill your jar (s) to the top with your raw apple cider vinegar, making sure the ingredients are completely covered.
Cap with a plastic cap and shake vigorously to mix everything together.
STORE THE JAR IN A DARK PLACE FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS (but shake once per day.)
When ready, strain out the vinegar into a bowl lined with cheesecloth. If needed, filter again to make sure you only have infused vinegar with no particles.
Use a funnel and pour liquid into 2 oz. amber or blue tincture bottles.
This keeps indefinitely and requires no refrigeration.
WARNING: Master Tonic is spicy and potent.
To use: Squeeze a dropperful down the back of your throat from 2 - 5 times per day.
Safe for pregnancy too.
While it is safe for children (in smaller doses) it is HOT. I used it for my children 16+.
It's worth it to take the time in the summer to prepare this so that you have it on hand the next time you or your family is succumbing to illness.
. . . . .
Linking with Strangers and Pilgrims