About

Saturday, May 26, 2018

My people and me

"Mother's Day is less about being deeply loved and appreciated—
 and more about appreciating that we get to deeply love these people."
Ann Voskamp

. . . . . . . 

I really like this quote by Ann Voskamp.  As a young mother, I had the attitude of entitlement.  I was the mom, after all.  I worked all the time, cooking, cleaning, washing, changing diapers, on repeat.  True, that can be tiring and unappreciated, but, you know what I have come to realize over the years is that while I suppose it could be considered my "duty" - I really think it so much more my privilege!  

I want to serve my family and be a blessing to them.  What better way to show the love of Christ than to serve just as He did - quietly, without expecting accolades and recognition.  Just because I love them.

I want my husband and children to feel special.  I know how special I feel when kindnesses are done to me.  Which brings me to this year's Mother's Day.  They asked me what I wanted to do.  It was sunny and warm so of course, I always think to head to a beach to enjoy the salty air, the sea breezes, the eye candy of the water, and enjoy a treat of ice cream or coffee or something.  

We took the ferry over to Whidbey Island and headed to Langley.  It's one of my favorite sleepy seaside towns.  The ferry line was long, (and worse heading home 😬)  But once there, it's such fun to walk around this quaint town.

Sweet Mona's is a chocolate shop, but they sell Gelato and coffee as well.  Absolutely can't go wrong stopping in there!




One of my favorite things to do is beachcomb for sea glass and shells.  Sadly, the tide was coming in.


This made me smile. Not just the shell "booth", but a for reals pay phone.  In this modern day of cell phones, you just don't see this anymore. 



White picket fences with fragrant flowers and white lights... be still my beating heart.  What is it about these things that just bring such joy to me.  It's so welcoming and friendly.  (and inspiring.)


No seashells or beach glass, but still Abbie found a treasure for me.  💜

Dan's idea.

Not to be outdone.

and there were bunnies everywhere.  That made the girls giggle with glee trying to get close with the hopes to try to pet one.

The gift of their time is absolutely the best kind of gift they could give me. I am well aware of these fleeting days and how things can change in an instant.  I am so blessed and so thankful for my people!







1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, Carol! Thanks for the reminder that it is a privilege to deeply love the children, people, friends God has placed in our lives-

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)