About

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

I feel so thankful for so many things, and one of those things is you - who still read this blog despite it being so neglected!  
I hope you had a very blessed Thanksgiving!

One of the things we do in preparation is make a traditional Ukrainian dish called Varenyky.  It was a tradition that Eric grew up with and he has such fond memories associated with it.  

It's a recipe that was handed down by the Grammy's.  Four generations in the kitchen laughing and talking while making a delicious dish to fill thankful tummies.

Mixing by hand makes it extra fun for the kids.  Eric has made this for all the holidays each year with the kids since Sarah was little.
He has the recipe memorized, but we've written it down since for the children.  And now even, Caleb, who lives on his own in Portland, makes it!


It's a labor of love.  They take a long time to make, but they are well worth the wait!

And this is where the stories get told, and the fond memories made

and the good talks are had... and the lines of who we are as a family get drawn a little deeper for each one.




So Varenyky is made from a simple egg noodle dough and filled with mashed potatoes.  We make a double batch because leftovers are where it's at!   A double batch calls for a 10 lb. bag of potatoes.
Over the years, I've gotten smarter and I make the mashed potatoes the day before. 
The secret ingredient in my mashed potatoes is Boursin cheese. SO GOOD!







Eric, being the sweetest man alive also decided to try a gluten free version just for Mary and me.




"Two thumbs way up" 

Our actual Thanksgiving day we spent with friends.  It's been a tradition for eighteen years.  I decided though, that I would just enjoy the day and live in the moment instead of trying to capture it with a camera. 😌

I have so much to be thankful for.  Everything in my life (the messy and the beautiful) is all good.  There are blessings everywhere, if I just have eyes to see them. 

Hope your Thanksgiving was warm and wonderful. 

- Carol





1 comment:


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)