About

Friday, December 29, 2017

pronouns and definite articles

One of the gifts Eric gave me for Christmas was Switchfoot's California Vibes Christmas package.  Included was their newest EP which contains acoustic versions of three songs.

In true Carol style, while driving around town running some errands, I had it on repeat so I could really listen and enjoy and soak in the words.  Switchfoot came up in conversation recently and he said it best, when he said they were wordsmiths.  It couldn't be truer. 

The chorus from Hope is the Anthem of my Soul

My heartbeat, my oxygen
My banner, my home
My future, my song
Your hope is the anthem of my soul

Hearing it in this acoustic style I heard the YOUR for the first time.  I always just thought it said 
Hope is the anthem...

YOUR hope makes all the difference.  
Anyone can have a general hope - a positive attitude - a sunny-side disposition, 
but that's not what this is about!

YOUR hope -
the object of this hope is Christ.

This hope is the hope that belongs to us in Christ for his atoning work on the cross for us giving us HOPE for eternity.

Again, this acoustic version made the THE stand out.  
It's not an anthem.  
any old anthem or one of many -

It's THE anthem of my soul.
The thing my soul sings aloud from the mountaintops and from the depths of my soul.
It permeates in and out of me.  Because it's THE anthem. 

YOUR HOPE is THE only anthem of my soul!


- Carol

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is that I am married to the most loving, caring, sweet and Godly woman. I can happily say is their best friend, wife and prayer partner.
    I love you Carol and your writing always brings a smile and a love tear.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)