Monday, October 3, 2016

Acute hairline supracondylar fracture

Well... we've got some news!  
25 years - 8 kids - and never a broken bone... until now. 

Abbie had been playing with her sisters and the goats that afternoon.  So as to not let the goats out of their yard, she decided to climb over the gate.  Smart, but what she didn't realize is that it was a bit slippery.  She lost her balance and fell on her arm.  

Crying, all three girls came to get me.  I changed Abbie our of her dirty clothes (but arms out of sleeves didn't feel too good.) got her cleaned up, and had her lie on her bed with some ice on her arm.  

Trying to decide what to do - do we go to the ER?  Do we stay and see how it goes?  Do we go to the ER later when Eric gets home? 

I went to talk with the girls to hear from their point of view what had happened.  When I came back to Abbie, her teeth were chattering.  I knew it wasn't from the ice. She was going into shock. 
She thought she had a broken bone and that was such a frightening thought for her. 

At that point, I knew we needed to leave. BUT there was a catch. 
My car had been making some weird sounds, so the night before Eric had taken the wheels off to check the brakes.  He discovered that they were going to need to be replaced, but the auto parts store had already closed.  The plan was that he'd pick up the parts on the way home from work and finish the job the next night.  I didn't have plans to go anywhere so it really didn't matter...

I prayed with Abbie.  She was quite frightened and upset.
The Lord put Psalm 56:3 on my heart.
"When I am afraid, I will trust in You."  
That made me think of the Steve Green kids' song so I softly sang it to her to remind her that God was with her.  He was watching over her.  He was not caught off-guard by her accident.

I called a dear friend, who pretty much dropped everything to come help us.  
She was just twenty minutes away, which gave me time to instruct the children, gather some things to take with us, and touch base with Matthew and Eric.  I wasn't sure which one would be able to come get us due to timing. It was Matthew who happily came to the medical center on his way home from work.  

Again I was able to reassure Abbie that God was watching over her.  He provided a way for us to get to the doctor, and way to get back home as well. 

Thankfully, the wait wasn't too long.  (And Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You book to pass the time.) 

X-rays:  Why is it that they must move your arm the very way it hurts the most?

And there it is.  A break in the humerus.   Her funny bone.  NOT FUNNY.
By this time it was quite swollen so the doctor put her in a temporary cast.  
We'll be getting her full cast on in the next couple of days. 

When we were waiting for Matt to come, she rested her head on my shoulder and said, "God was with me, and I was brave."  

As she retold the whole event to Eric, she said she thought that when the doctor came with scissors (to cut the cast material) she thought he was going to cut open her arm so he could look at her broken bone.  Poor Dear. No wonder she considered herself brave!  

I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit prompts us with His Word and things to say that can bring comfort.  I am also thankful for how He carried me and gave me a calm spirit, and that I could see all the ways He was caring for us.  

Psalm 54:4 
Behold, God is my helper;
the Lord is the sustainer of my soul.


  1. What a brave little sweetheart! Give her some love for me :)

  2. Hang in there Abby. We are praying fro you!


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)