About

Monday, April 11, 2016

Molasses Cookies - a treat even we can eat.

You ever just have an insatiable sweet tooth?  
Do I want chocolate?  Do I have any chocolate? 
Well, I'm kinda in the mood for cookies.  

I am taking the kids on a field trip tomorrow  - it makes it even more fun when I have something fun to pack along. Looking through my stash of cookie recipes I decided to try my favorite - molasses cookies.  
And I don't care what people say - molasses cookies are good any time of year, not just Christmas time.  :-)

But...I can't very well make cookies and have Hannah look on longingly.  That's just cruel.
You can read about her food challenges here, if you like. 

So I was fiddling around with the recipe to make it dairy free, gluten free, and egg free - and believe it or not...it's NOT taste free!  

gluten free, dairy free, egg free

They are so good!


Molasses Cookies
(gluten free, dairy free, egg free)

3/4 c. Spectrum organic all vegetable shortening
1 c. sugar + extra for rolling.
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 c. Namaste gluten-free flour blend 
2 heaping tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Melt shortening in a pot over the stove.  Let it cool a little.  To the pot, add the 2 c. sugar, molasses and applesauce.  Mix well.  Add the flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix until combined well. 
Roll into balls and roll in the extra sugar to coat.
Bake at 375 for 10-ish minutes. 

And now I don't have to feel guilty either - eating gluten when I shouldn't.

You should give them a try and tell what you think.



1 comment:

  1. I love these cookies!!! I'm going to try the new recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)