About

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Another super soup

I love cream-based soups.  Hands down, they are the best!  Am I right?

Something about them just says c.o.m.f.o.r.t.  

But, ever since we discovered that Hannah couldn't have dairy (or goat milk) I sort of quit making them.  Flipping through my Taste of Home cookbook, I came across a recipe for curried chicken rice soup.  I only had to substitute a couple of things, and ... 
it tastes a-maz-ing!  



So in case you are in cream soup mood - here's one for ya.

Curried Chicken Rice Soup.  

2 large carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 c. butter (I used olive oil - just enough drizzled in the pot to saute the veggies)
3/4 c. flour (I used the Namaste gluten free blend from Costco)
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. curry powder
3 cans (12 oz each) evaporated milk (I used 2 cans full fat coconut milk)
4 c. chicken broth
2 - 3 cups cubed, cooked chicken
2 c. cooked rice 

Saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter (oil) for 2 minutes.  Stir in flour, seasoned salt, and curry until smooth.  Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Gradually add broth.  Stir in chicken and rice.  Return to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  

Yields: 10-12 servings.  








1 comment:

  1. Sounds nice and easy! Just the kind of recipes I like! :)

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)