About

Monday, May 4, 2015

A firm foundation

In the fall, shortly after we bought our property, Eric's contract job ended.  We found ourselves needing to tighten the belt and spend little except on the essentials. 
The goats we planned on getting were due in the spring and they would need a home. 
What to do?
Since we live in the forest, we chose to use materials that we had available to us.  Alder trees.  And since he was temporarily out of work, time was also available.  Eric set to work felling the straightest trees and building this little barn.  

 
It served us well.   It kept our three little goats secure and safe. 
Our little herd of three grew into, at one point, fifteen, and the necessity for a bigger barn.
 

But this post isn't really about our farm life. 
 
I snapped this photo last summer of what remains of that original barn. 


The alder wood has rotted away causing collapse.  All but the "loft" has crumbled.  That is just a matter of time as well.  As I look upon this heap of wood, it reminds me that a firm foundation is essential if it is to hold up under the weight.
 
The burdens of life are heavy. 
If I am to hold up under the pressure, I better have a firm foundation in place.  Is my foundation like shifting beach sand, that when the storms of life roll in, will wash away?
Or is my foundation like the firm rock, unmovable, and unshakeable?

The grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of our God stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8

I realize more than ever that I need to have my firm foundation in Christ,
and not in anything else especially not myself and my wavering, ways.

. . . . .









3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful reminder! Such an important thing to remember and I love your illustration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are sweet to say so. Blogger was being wonky. I hit the save button, but it published this post before I was finished. :-/ Anyway - I'm glad you it blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, look it is baby Hannah, and Caleby!

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)