About

Friday, January 9, 2015

So good Broccoli Beef

I think my favorite food is Mexican, but Chinese comes in at a close second, and Broccoli Beef is usually one my choices.  I recently found a recipe for Broccoli beef on Pinterest.  This recipe was fabulous.   You can view her original recipe here which serves 4.

I made a few simple changes.  I used organic where I could {marked with an *}, and I swapped out raw coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
My kitchen smelled so good, and we were all so hungry, that I did not think to take a picture.  {oops}  You really should give it a try.  I think you'll like it.


Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef over Rice

1 c. beef broth* 
     {I used 1 heaping teaspoon of organic beef broth paste from Costco mixed with 1 cup water.}
1/2 c. organic raw coconut aminos *
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced*
. . . . . . .
1 beef chuck roast*, sliced into thin strips.
     {mine was about 4 lbs.}
. . . . . . .
2 Tbsp. cornstarch*
1/4 c. water
Broccoli*
     {The big bag from Costco has 4 pouches inside.  I used 2 of the 4.} 
. . . . . . .
Rice*
     {I used organic, sweet brown rice instead of white.}

Place all the sauce ingredients into the crockpot and whisk to combine.
Add the meat.  Stir to coat.  Cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Then combine
2 Tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Stir until dissolved.  Add to beef & sauce.
Add frozen broccoli.  Continue to cook another hour or a bit more. 

In a pot, on the stove, cook up some rice {enough for your family.} 
To serve my family of nine, I used 2-1/2 cups of rice {combined with 5 cups of water - and cooked as usual.}

You could sprinkle the top with sesame seeds before serving.  I didn't think to do that until it was all gone. 
You could also substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar for an even healthier version.

* You can find coconut aminos by Coconut Secret and organic cornstarch by Let's Do Organic through Azure Standard.
* You can find toasted sesame oil at Trader Joe's.

I hope you enjoy! 
Bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)