About

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ahh, we're home

It's an interesting thing - having such a vast age range in our family.  It's a blessing to be sure.  It's a challenge as well. 

 
When the older children were young, Eric and I worked hard at starting traditions that would be unique to our family and give the kids a sense of oneness.  They were simple things really, like Friday night pizza and movie.  For a while we had some good friends that lived up the street. Our families would regularly get together on "Pizza Night".   We always had popcorn to go with the movie, but when we were at their house, the dad would sneak in something special inside ~ gummy bears or something. 
Such fun times that I know the kids remember.


Reading aloud was another thing we tried to do regularly.  There is something about gathering in a room together to listen to a good story that creates bonding.  Over the years we have collected the Happy Hollisters.  I think Eric and I enjoyed the stories as much as the children, but I know as parents, what was especially thrilling was when they would ask beg for us to read just one more chapter.


As the children get older, things morph.  Studies take longer, friendships outside the home grow deeper, they are getting to know themselves a little better and discovering what their unique interests are.  Jobs and responsibilities compete for their time.  One would think that maybe they've outgrown the childhood traditions.  It's true, some they have, and yet...


As Eric and I revisit the idea of cultivating a sense of family with the younger children and continue with these traditions, I wonder if the older children think to themselves, "I remember when we read that."  Or  "I still love Pizza Night."  I wonder if it brings a smile to their face?  I hope so.

I want our home to always be a place that brings joy and comfort.  It's not the house itself, but the place where the Word of God is central, where relationships happen, where character is built, where memories are made, where heart strings are tied.


So I am asking myself, "What makes a home?"  What memories can I create with my children that they will remember with fondness?  What can I do in my relationship with each one that will make them want to turn to home in times of joy and sorrow? 


I know God knows the desires of my heart.  He put them there.  {Psalm 37:4  Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart."}  A deep and abiding love for family is second to this foremost desire that each would have an intimate relationship with the Savior. 


I must admit, I am challenged daily.  Drawing out what is hidden in their hearts, knowing them deeply, guiding them wisely, being an example that they would want to follow.

I find comfort in this,
"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."  James 1:5

So thankful that Eric and I are in this together.  So thankful for his strength and perspective.

 ~ ~ ~
note to self
 
"Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalm and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God."  Colossians 3:16.









1 comment:

  1. Its with posts like these that I think "I hope I have the same sweet mindset about my home and family someday.."

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)