About

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Teachers: rocks, gardens, and tea.

A few of us have been under the weather the last few days, one of them being me.
 
Yesterday, though not feeling tip top, I thought I'd spend a little fun time with the kids on our garden rock project.  What better way to get out into the warm, fresh air for a change of pace and perspective.
 
 
Daniel wasn't really very interested in painting rocks. I was a little surprised, but what struck me was his maturity. He was willing to do what he did not want to - happily, so that he could be a help with the little sisters and be a blessing to me too.
 

 
Mary Anne, on the other hand, couldn't wait to paint! 
 




I thought it would be an easy, low-key, fun thing to do since we could be outside, but somehow this particular project just stressed me out, despite my best efforts to prepare.
Part of it may have been the mess along with my lack of energy, or maybe it was their bickering and whining.  Sadly that lead to my sharp tongue.  It grieves me so that I still struggle with that.
 
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. " ~ Proverbs 15:1
I know that and yet... 
 
My character is revealed and refined - through God's Word - by way of parenting!


Here are a few of the rocks ready for the words.  I had the children paint them solid colors so that they will still be easily seen when things start of grow, and cover.
 
We've had such beautiful, warm, sunny days, but rain will return this weekend.  Eric was so sweet to plant the garden for me.  We usually work together planning and planting, but one must make hay while the sun shines, or in this case - plant the garden, and I just wasn't feeling up to it.


We planted from seed.  We'll see how is goes and grows.  Lettuce, kale, Swiss chard, green beans, beets, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, along with some herbs and nasturtium and sweet peas for color and fragrance.
 
I am thankful for our little garden and how it sustains us through the summer with fresh food.   I am hoping for enough green beans and beets to can.  I think beets are like candy!
 
I am still such a novice gardener, when the seeds start to sprout, I find it hard to tell what is the plant and what is a weed.  When I spend time in the garden, I often end up thinking on spiritual things.  I am reminded that I must regularly pick out the weeds in my own heart.
Pride, selfishness, discontentment.  Even the thinning of the beets, which allows the ones that remain to be full, and big, and strong,  reminds me to thin out the extras in my life so that what remains is of good quality.


Here is another thing we enjoy on warm days.
 
 
Sun tea brewed with Original Good Earth tea.  It really makes the best iced tea.
My jug holds one gallon of water.  I usually use just 5-6 bags of tea because Good Earth is sweet and spicy and strong. 
 
Have you ever heard it said that we are like tea bags?  Once hot water is poured over us {hot water being trials} - what is the result in the water?  Our actions show what is in our heart, and it is the trials that often bring that to the surface - sort of like brewing tea.
What's in my tea bag?  What flavor am I?  I know what I'd like to be.

~ ~ ~
 
While outside today, the kids discovered a bird's nest.  There in the hillside.  There is at least one baby bird inside, but we didn't get a really good look since we didn't want to disturb it too much. 

 
Do you know the kind of bird that builds a nest like this? 

And here is the baby
 
 
and the baby.

 
 What cute kids!
 
Hoping your spring ~ almost summer ~ days are filled with joy.


 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Your garden is always so nice! Did you get the Good Earth tea idea from Emily? I am just wondering... because she introduced us to it recently. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you are too kind.
      Nope, we've known about Good Earth since our California days. (There used to be a Good Restaurant which was a fave of ours!

      Delete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)