About

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fabulous Finds

I am so happy with 2 new finds so I thought I'd share them with you.

FIND #1...

It's irrefutable - I am breakfast, lunch, appetizer, dinner, dessert, and a late night snack for mosquitoes!  

As you know, I like things to be pure and simple so I prefer to use natural insect repellents over chemical ones even though OFF with DEET seems to be the most effective.  

Did you know that your skin is an organ?  Did you also know that 60% of what you put on your skin is directly absorbed into your blood stream? 

For this reason, in the past when I would use OFF, I wouldn't spray it on my skin, but rather only on my clothing, but I discovered that I am sensitive to smells, and it wouldn't take long before I would have a headache.

My sympathetic husband found this for me.  It's a personal repellent that you clip onto your clothing.  OFF makes something similar, but this uses natural botanicals like geranium, eugenol {clove oil}*, cinnamon, peppermint, and lemongrass essential oils.  

Inside the plastic case is a little fan which runs on 2 AAA batteries {included} and disperses the scent.    

Last Saturday morning Eric and I went out to do the goat chores and milking.  Eric clipped it on the back of my overalls.  I could see some mosquitoes, but none seemed to bother me. 
{I'm kind of an easy target while milking since I'm sitting fairly still and my hands are busy and unable to swat them away.}

We then spent a few minutes in the garden harvesting some zucchini and cucumbers before heading up to the house.  While they seemed to be all over Eric, there weren't any around me.   This was truly amazing!  Not one bite! 

*As with many botanicals, care and caution must be used.  Eugenol, or clove oil, is toxic if ingested.  The cartridge that contains the botanicals is like a saturated piece of cotton with a plastic edge.  Handle by the plastic edge when inserting it into the case and wash your hands afterwards.   When I'm not wearing it, I store it in a Ziploc bag.  


FIND #2

 
I don't know about you, but as a homeschooler, I'd be lost without a printer.  I use it all the time.
A few months ago we needed to purchase a new printer to replace our faithful, but very tired old one.  We bought an HP from Costco.  Sadly, it was nothing but a headache.  Every time anyone went to print something, there would be an error message.  Being hooked up on our wireless network, it would loose connectivity constantly.  It also reverted to sleep mode despite our specific settings.   It rarely worked when we needed it to.  Out of complete frustration, we finally threw up our hands and returned it to Costco. 

We bought this Canon Pixma MX 922.   In passing, the gal in the Costco isle commented, "Oh, a Canon, you'll love it.  All of us here have Canons and we love them. It's a great printer"  
She was right.  The print quality is excellent for documents and photographs.  It stays connected to our network,  it doesn't revert to sleep mode.  It even prints from the Cloud!
And guess what?  The best part...when I push the print button on my computer...Voila - it prints!

If you are in the market for a new printer, I highly recommend this one.  We bought it at Costco for $140ish.  Right now,  through September 29, 2013 you can buy it on line at Costco.com for $149 with a $30 rebate!
It's an excellent home-office {homeschooling} printer.





 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)