About

Friday, April 26, 2013

Did you know?

I've always been a Crest toothpaste and Oral B toothbrush gal.  I've used those two products all my life and I have only ever had 1 cavity.  So it stands to reason that I have bought into the whole "sales pitch" that fluoride helps prevent tooth decay.


The other day I was reading a post from the Parisienne Farmgirl about the dangers of fluoride.  I've always known that too much wasn't good, but I had no idea about the extent of its dangers!

Not wanting to over-react, I decided to do my own bit of research from a trusted source that shoots straight.  Here is a link to Dr. Mercola's website with a whole host of articles concerning the dangers of fluoride.  These findings seem to be swept under the carpet and out of view from the general public. 

You really should read these.  Really.

I have to ask, why the secrecy of this toxin?  Why can't they just make a fact sheet of proposed benefits and risks of the use of fluoride available to the public?  For those who decide they want the "benefit" of fluoride, there is toothpaste with fluoride,  but why must it be added to our water supply - without the health warnings?  Oh, right, because we are dumb sheep and must be told what is good for us.  We couldn't possibly make informed decisions on our own. {not under the influence of fluoride, anyway!}

So you say, "Well,  I use a Britta filter."  Don't be fooled.  The Britta doesn't filter out fluoride.  "I drink bottled water."  It's there too.  Even if the bottled water you drink is 100% fluoride free, here are some other ways you are ingesting it.

All across America farmers water their crops with fluoridated water - so it's on all your fruits and vegetables.  It's in your favorite Starbuck's drink as they use city fluoridated water to brew their coffee. It's in bottled juices and canned vegetables.  

Everyone knows that for optimum health you should be drinking 8 glasses of water per day.
A pea size of toothpaste has 0.5 mg of fluoride - the same and 1-2 glasses of fluoridated water.
{You can do the math, toothpaste dose  + mouthwash dose + drinking water doses + fruit/vegetable doses, fun coffee treat dose, etc.} It's not looking so benign anymore, is it?


Here, I thought my family was safe because we are blessed to have pure water from an artesian well as our water source.  I figured we were only getting just a small amount from our toothpaste, and that certainly wouldn't hurt us.  I really hadn't thought about all the numerous other ways we are ingesting fluoride {WITHOUT out consent!  I think that's the part that just makes me mad.}

And...did you know that fluoride is used in pesticides, insecticides, and fertilizer? 
Yep, and you {and I} just brushed our teeth with it. 
Well, that should raise an eyebrow. {and a red flag}
 
I used to think that Tom's of Maine {a brand of toothpaste without fluoride} was only for the really eccentric, all natural, earth loving, hippy types.
 
Say hello to its newest members.  We are making the switch.
 
One last thought - if you are interested in a really good water filter - you might look into the Berkey filters
 
 
 
 




 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing isn't it? Little did we know... We switched over to Tom's about a year or 2 ago, and I stopped having stomachs that I would have e.v.e.r.y night without fail. Who would've thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Jason brand Sea Fresh toothpaste!

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)