About

Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Avengers - Guest Post by Matthew




Sometimes movies are just that much better than what you expect. The Avengers was just that. I watched it the day after its theater release date, fully expecting a fun, action flick, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the film full of good character models, self-sacrificial themes, and relatively few clouded morals.

Handsome devil, ain't he?
My favorite Avenger is Tony Stark AKA Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. reprised his role as Stark in this film, and his acting was superb, just like it was in the two previous Iron Man films. Except this time, the "Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist" was much less the playboy, due to his steady relationship with Miss Potts, and more the hero that most of the other characters and the audience know he can be when he isn't only looking out for himself. Actually, he's one of the most sacrificial characters in the whole movie. In one sequence, were I an emotional movie watcher, I would have cried.
Another reason for my liking of Stark, is that he says more than half of the movie's best lines.  


Did I mention he has a flare for style?

Loki, the film's villain, played by Tom Hiddleston, is what you expect from a villain. Enjoys being ruthless, likes to monologue, thinks he's unbeatable, and always has a plan.He's also in possession of an army. Hiddleston did an amazing job as Loki, evil and arrogant, but perfectly willing to surrender if it will help his master plan in anyway. 

As already stated, Loki has an army and plans to use it to enslave earth. The result is a brutal battle between "Earth's Mightiest Heroes"(The Avengers) and legions of alien troops in a epic scale battle. The PG-13 rating is well given, almost the entire movie is one intense scene after another, especially the fight sequences. The cuss words are minimum, for which I was quite glad. Compared to many of the other PG-13 rated movies this year, it is almost as clean as a whistle in that aspect. 

Another reason I love this movie is the character development. All of the Avengers have had their own blockbusters, but Joss Wedon, the Director, devoted more than half of the film to introducing each Avenger and their reactions to the rest of the team. The result is a greater appreciation for each character, as well as giving us a still deeper insight into why each character is willing to put his or her life on the line to fight Loki.  

On a scale from one-to-ten, I put Avengers at nine. This from me is rather high. Only one movie is at 10, which is my all time favorite movie, but that's for another time.

The Blue-Ray release date is September 25th, while I won't shell out the fifty or so greenbacks for it on release day,(Because I'm cheap...) I will certainly buy it when the price drops. Would I recommend it? Most certainly! (Hence this post.)





2 comments:

  1. Dude! You're hilarious! What a great review! If I hadn't already seen the movie, after reading that review I'd sure want to. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, but he forgot to mention Captain America, and Thor, and Hulk, and did I mention Captain America?
    ... Hannah

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)