About

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Health Food

Friends often ask me for advice on health food. I never really thought of myself as a "health nut", but after thinking about it, I guess I am. I figure if we eat healthily 95% of the time, then when those special occasions come along we can enjoy the treats - and REALLY enjoy them.
Here's a little list of things you can do to be more healthy.
Avoid
- high fructose corn syrup
- partially hydrogenated oils
- soy
- aspartame
- nitrates and nitrites
- foods that are affected by GMO (genetically modified organism)
*This will be a separte post!

Add
- organic extra virgin coconut oil
- olive oil
- use honey, pure maple syrup, or organic sugar for your sweeteners
- use whole grains and rotate them.

You have to be a label reader, but it will pay off with good health! In all the reading I have done, it seems that a majority of the health issues of our day stem from what we eat. Most of it is a cumulative effect. Unless we have a serious allergy to a food, we don't notice the harmful effects that slowly creep up. Sort of like putting the lobster in a pot of cold water and then turning on the heat. It doesn't even notice the temperature rising.

Sue Gregg's Eating Better Cookbooks have taught me so much. I think they qualify as a home economics class! They are packed with helpful information and great recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)