About

Monday, March 8, 2010

Bread Baking


I LOVE to bake bread! I LOVE to eat it when it's fresh out of the oven with a pat of butter melting on it. mmmmm
There are many benefits to eating homemade bread. There are not a lot of ingredients needed. You certainly don't need high fructose corn syrup or maltodextrin something or other. The absolute best way to get all the nutrition you can is to mill your own grain. I know some of you are thinking..."You've got to be kidding!" To some this sounds archaic or even hippy-ish, but it isn't. Nothing could be easier than plugging in my WonderMill, turning it on and adding the grain. Within a minute or two you have fresh ground grain. Fresh flour contains all the vitamins and minerals missing in commercial flours. It includes the bran which is vital for a healthy colon and weight control. It is economical. Within 24 hours up to 40% of the nutrients have oxidized. In three days up to 80% of nutrients have oxidized, so using freshly grained flours preserves all the wonderful nutrients. Read more benefits here.

It's lost art, really, but it shouldn't be! Whenever I need to provide a meal for someone, I usually include a loaf of homemade bread. Most of the time, people comment on the bread!
The very first book I ever had on bread making was a free booklet from Fleishmann's yeast. I only had to pay shipping for this little gem. It was full of color illustrations and wonderful recipes. I wish I still had it. Now, I recommend the cookbooks by Sue Gregg. They are so very helpful! So - I encourage you to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)