About

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Canning



Titus 2:3-5 "Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be dishonored. "

I am so thankful for the "older" women in my life who have taught me so many things! My own mother who taught me exceptional cleaning and organizational skills, my dear friend Karen, who has taught me so much spiritually and my sweet friend, Kimberlee who has taught me so many domestic things....like canning. This is just a sampling of what my daughters and I have done this season: applesauce (90 lbs of apples!), pickled beets, pears, plum butter and raspberry jam (not pictured). Canning isn't always economical, but if you can get your produce for free or near free then it's definitely worth the work. Applesauce is the last thing for our canning season.

Here is the recipe I used for Plum Butter it's from Mary Jane Butters. It's so yummy on a slice of hot-out-of-the-oven homemade bread!

16 cups plums

2 cups water

1-1/2 cups sugar

2 Tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder* (I used only 1/3 the amount)

2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Wash plums well and drain. Cut each plum in half and remove the pit, but don't peel them.

Combine the plums and sugar in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until fruit is very soft.

Remove from heat and puree until smooth.

Return puree to pot with Chinese five-spice powder and lemon juice. Cook over low heat for 2+ hours. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.

Remove from heat. Ladle plum butter into sterilized half pint jars. Leave 1/4" headspace. Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.

Yields 10 (8 oz) jars

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)