About

Friday, December 20, 2013

Important or Urgent

“Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important.
Charles Hummel


I struggle with this more often than I'd like to admit. 
The urgent things...
~ hungry tummies,
~ piles of laundry
~ dirty dishes
~ bills to pay 
~ dentist appointments,
~ doctor appointments,
~ desperately needed trips to Costco {which isn't close - living in the country has its blessings -- the solitude, the quiet, the beauty -- but it means everything is far away.  There is no such thing as a quick errand}
~ all the extra details for Christmas.
 
 
Some of the urgent things I can delegate to the children, which is good training for them practically and spiritually, but other things I must do.  Because it is easy to get a sense of satisfaction from things crossed off a list, I often fall into the focusing on the urgent things.

~
The important things...
~ reading to my little ones
~ training their character by balancing free time with constructive learning
~ spending time with them doing the things they like to do
~ letting them help in the kitchen - even though it means a longer clean up time for me
~ doing things that create unforgettable memories for them - walks in the woods, sleeping out under the stars...
~ praying with them and teaching them how to pray
~ helping them to see the love of the Savior
 
 
Sometimes I am just too practical.  Sometimes I am just too selfish because I know the extra work that will be involved.  Sometimes I give in to the exhaustion I feel at the end of day.  But what am I?  I am a wife, I am a mother, I am a homemaker.  I want to joyfully serve my family and make our home a haven where they are nurtured, and encouraged, and loved.
I have to remind myself of priorities and reset them aright.  
 
God
Husband
Children
Home
Others
When I spend the early morning hours, while the children still sleep, in the Word and prayer, I always feel a peace and joy that can not be gained any other way.  It is there that I find the direction I need in my God-given role as wife and mother.  It is there that God directs me in how to set my day in order.  It is there that I am reminded of what is important.
 
 
I want to live intentionally, not by default.  I hate when I fall into the trap of "the tyranny of the urgent taking over the important".   It just feels all flip-flopped and out of control.   

 
Sometimes the days feel long, but I know that time is short.  I want to make it count.
 
 
Teaching is intentional - the basics like school subjects, but also practical skills too.  It's also unintentional, by that I mean, my kids learn by watching me.  What do they see?
I want them to see a woman who is passionate about loving God.  That I am characterized by having a tender word spoken in right circumstance because I am filled with the Word, that I am faithful in prayer and that they would be comforted by the thought that I regularly lift them up to the throne of Grace.  I want them to think I am fun, that I am joyful, that I am thankful, that I am focused and present when I am with them.


I am thankful for the holiday from homeschooling, which affords a bit more time to ponder, and to play. 


 {This could have been my brother and me when I was little!}

 {Homemade play dough}


{Reading stories}
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey


These are a few of our favorite things.







 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)