About

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blueberry Syrup for breakfast or dessert

This morning for breakfast Hannah made baked oatmeal.  We usually enjoy maple syrup on top, but with all of our fresh picked blueberries, I couldn't help but think that a blueberry syrup would go wonderfully on top. 
I did a quick Bing search and found a basic recipe here.

The recipe is so simple both in ingredients and also instructions.  I followed it just as it said and it thickened nicely, but there were big, whole blueberries all throughout. 


So I whipped out my handy-dandy immersion blender and blended it all up.
 


The syrup was very good and calls for no sweetener.  Since we were using it as a breakfast topping, we wanted it a bit sweeter so I added just a heaping spoonful of honey and blended it with the immersion blender for few seconds.
I was right - it was perfect on top of our baked oatmeal. 

This syrup would be wonderful as an ice cream topping.


 


Here's my version of Blueberry Syrup
 2 c. blueberries, no juice
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients and cook, stirring until thick.  Pour into a quart canning jar or other tallish container.  Use an immersion blender to blend it all together.  Add sweetener, if needed, depending on your use.
Yum!

1 comment:

  1. That actually looks really yummy!! I've don't think I've ever had baked oatmeal before. =)

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)