About

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rashes, and sniffles, and coughs, OH my!

Germs are tenacious little critters... at least with the little ones in our family.  Mary really struggled with this respiratory bug.  Since the sisters love to love her - they came down with it too.  Lots of sleepless nights for us all as the croupy type cough kept them from sleeping and kept the parents on "alert". 
The item in my little arsenal I used most this time was elderberry syrup.  It really helps stop the coughing and also boosts the immune system.  I bought mine from the naturopath in town.  You can buy it at the local health food store, but do read the labels as some have quite a bit of alcohol in them. 

Abbie got this weird mystery rash.  It started on her chest and tummy.  A bit of it was on her legs too. Sort of like teeny tiny red bumps.  A result of a fever, maybe?  I didn't really want to put anything on it because I wasn't really sure what I was dealing with and I didn't want to mask any symptoms.  The part on her trunk seemed to fade within a few days, but the back of her legs just looked angry.  Eric suggested I soak her in a bath of Epsom salt.  Then it hit me!  I could do better than that.  I had some Anderson Family Farm goat milk bath salts.  The combination of sea salt, Epsom salt, baking soda and lavender essential oil would really help soothe and heal her tender, irritated skin.  Guess what?  After just two baths with it - it was MUCH improved! 


In addition to their regular line of wonderful goat milk skin care products they are so well known for, Anderson Family Farm has just launched their Baby B line.  They are introducing several products in this line, but there are two that I am especially excited about! 
Peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus smithii essential oils are mixed with sweet almond oil in a gentle baby ratio that when rubbed on their chest, back or even the bottoms of their feet will help give relief to congestion and help them breathe easier.  This is WAY better than V--- rub that we all grew up with.  To tell you the truth,  I would readily use this on myself, my husband or my older children as well.   I only wish I had this product last week!!
This is the other product I am so happy about!  Their formulation is so nice - it's not ooey-gooey like the kinds that come in a tube.  Theirs is in a tin and it's more solid.  But the reason I am so thrilled will surprise you.  Since one of the ingredients is zinc oxide - it is a natural SUNSCREEN
I've been looking for natural sunscreens every summer, but to no avail.  It's always been a big concern of mine.  I don't want my littles to burn, but I don't want to put the harsh toxins that are in all the sunscreens on the market onto my children.  (Did you know that 60% of what you put directly on your skin gets absorbed into your blood stream!?)
The ingredients in this diaper salve are good for little cuts too.  The grapefruit seed extract is anti-microbial, the lavender and tea tree oils are anti fungal, antiseptic, and anti-bacterial!  This little gem is going to be my go-to cream for a miriad of things.  A must have in my purse ~ AKA Mom's med kit!


I just want you to know, that I am not "selling" their products...I am just SOLD ON their products.

1 comment:

  1. Sooo kind of the Blanchet family! Thank you for the hearty endorsement. We are working hard here on the farm to have the website part of "Baby B" line of natural goat milk baby care products launched by the end of the week. So check often and joy and health to our dear friends the Blanchet's. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)