About

Friday, March 9, 2012

I never really knew about food allergies and sensitivities until recently.  Seems like so many people have issues with dairy or with gluten. 

Let me tell you (or if you are a fellow sufferer, you already know!) it's hard!  I'd like to just ignore the whole thing...because afterall, life is a sandwich...a sandwich with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sprouts, sliced meat, luscious melt-in-your-mouth cheese and delicious gluten laden bread...but I digress....Seriously, it really is challenging when the sensitivities are to both gluten and dairy. 

I thought I'd start occasionally posting some great recipes that are both dairy and gluten free.  Even if you don't personally have trouble with this, chances are someone you know does, and you would have a recipe or two that you could make, if ever the need should arise.  Most "cooking" recipes are easily adaptable to substitute or eliminate the dairy and gluten.  The "baking" recipes are a whole other ball game.  Still working on finding those little gems.

First up - this delicious soup.  I found it here, while reading a friend's blog.  I have tweaked it a bit, but I will post the original recipe and then just note what I do.  It's one of those extremely forgiving recipes and so delicious! 


Suzanne's Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. beef broth
2 c. chicken broth (or use all of one or the other)
2 (29 oz) cans diced tomatoes
4 large chicken breasts, fresh or frozen*
2 c. corn
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed well
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. minced jalepenos (optional)

Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.  Add remaining ingredients (chicken can still be frozen).
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken, shred with two forks and return to pot.  Simmer 10 minutes more, or until ready to serve.
Serve with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cilantro and avocado.

My tweaks:
{I buy whole chickens, roast them, and put the cooked meat in Ziploc bags (1 whole chicken per bag) and freeze so that I have chicken ready to use.  After I have picked off all the meat, I boil the bones to make homemade broth. When I make this soup, I pull out one of those bags of chicken and use that - it's already cooked and in pieces, and I use chicken broth that I have made not the combo of beef and chicken broths.}

The corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn chips I buy organic from Trader Joe's.

I do not add the jalepeno peppers since I still have young children who eat this soup.

Those in my family who can have dairy can top the soup with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)