About

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Autoimmune recipe: Paleo Fig Energy Bites

As many of you know, Hannah has some food allergies. Her symptoms have progressed over the years from bothersome to now quite severe, which has led us to seek some new help.  After some extensive testing we discovered more allergens for her to steer clear of, and the bacterial battle going on inside her gut.   
But in spite of  being fastidious about her diet, and taking mass doses of probiotic along with grapefruit seed extract to kill off the bad bacteria, she was still feeling rather awful, in fact, I dare say even getting worse.
I found myself on my knees before the Lord crying out for wisdom and direction.  
He is so faithful to answer prayer.
I remembered a conversation I had had with a friend (about her own health struggles), Another friend who has similar issues as Hannah came to mind, and I also remembered a closing comment made by Hannah's doctor.  All of them regarding leaky gut. 
I did some internet research on leaky gut, specifically what it is, and how to address it, and I checked some autoimmune paleo cookbooks out from the library.  
We had already removed many things from her diet after her food panel results, so it didn't seem as daunting to remove a few more offenders, and if we didn't see any improvement, well, we'd have more tests done.  

She's been eating this way for about three weeks now, and she is seeing some improvement! It's small, but still encouraging.
There are still so many variables, but I am so thankful that Hannah is beginning to feel a little relief. Her doctor was happy with that too. 

With that in mind, I thought I would try to post each week about a recipe that we've tried that we really like. Maybe this will be a help to you or someone you know who struggles with gut related issues.  

Hannah found this recipe from the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook by Mickey Trescott 
We love them.  They taste fabulous and are super fast to make. 

 Paleo Fig Energy Bites


2 c. unsulphured dried figs*
2 c. fine shredded coconut, divided**
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt

Place the figs, 1-1/2 c. of the shredded coconut, coconut oil, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse on and off until a thick paste forms (you may have to stop and scrape the sides of your food processor a couple of times.) 
Form into 1" balls, then roll them in the reserved 1/2 c. of shredded coconut. 
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the coconut oil set. 

Other dried fruit can be used instead of figs such as dates, dried apples, and apricots .
Keeps for a week or two stored in the refrigerator.  Also freezes well. 

*Costco carries a 2.5 lb. bag of organic sun-dried Calimyrna figs for about $10
** We buy organic unsweetened coconut from Azure Standard.


 Enjoy!
~ Carol


1 comment:

  1. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    HER OWN HEALTH

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)